September 26, 2011

My Path to Spirituality and the Power of Positive Thinking



Sky and Clouds - sun rays



What is spirituality?

Spirituality is often thought of as a religion, but it is simply a way of life. There are many forms in which people choose to practice spirituality. Although not a religion, spirituality is sometimes affiliated with religion; based on how one may think of it and it's connection to a higher power. For some, spirituality has nothing to do with religion, but is the process of self-discovery by finding out who they are and what they want to be. For others, it is feeling and showing love to all living creatures. Spirituality is practiced in many different forms, and all of them are correct; it is the practice of being happy (under grace and in all perfect ways) without fear of judgement.

Personally, my favorite and most effective form of spirituality (for me) is the practice of positive thinking. In the beginning it was difficult, and sometimes it still is. Ten years ago, I knew that I could receive whatever I wanted if I put my mind to it. I was upset about certain circumstances, but whatever I put my attention on the most worked out for the best, and I had no idea what spirituality was.

Suddenly, my life changed. I married a wonderful man and had three beautiful children. However, my life was at a stand still that was slowly riding a downhill slope. We went from two vehicles to none. Our income decreased dramatically and our bill increased due to our move to California. I also went from having a strong friend base to none at all. My weight increased and so did my husband's. We were both depressed.

The great thing about it, we did not live in our moments of depression together. One of us was always strong enough to carry the other through. So what does this have to do with the power of positive thinking? A lot!


When did positive thinking work for me?

The age of 19 is the first time I can remember the power of positive thinking working for me. I worked in the mall at a job I could not stand. I felt unappreciated, undervalued, and I knew I deserved better. I randomly met a girl who worked at a different location in the mall. She told me about a job opportunity and I filled out an application and insisted on an interview that day. My mother did not like the idea of me working there, but I knew everything was going to be great. Once I was hired I had affirmed to myself (daily) that I was going to become the assistant manager. Within a week, I had received three raises and became a supervisor. Another week later, a position for Assistant Manager became available and I was promoted again. All of this took place before I had even received my first pay check. At this point in my life, I had no idea about what the power of positive thinking was.

By the time I was 21, I was ready for more income. At the time, for me, that meant a different job. I knew of a store around the corner from my current job that was rumored to pay their employees extremely well. Daily, I thought about what it would be like to work there. The Manager there, began passing by the office I worked at almost everyday. I thought about asking him for a job, but I told myself "No! He is going to ASK me!". Suddenly he stopped walking by and would come in and ask for printer paper. I thought this was odd. I mean, what well running business doesn't have printer paper. After sometime passed, he asked me to work for him. At first I actually hesitated because I did feel loyal to my current employer. What was I thinking?! Gratefully the Universe heard me scream inside and offered me a few more opportunities which I finally took advantage of.  I took the job and almost tripled my income! Again, I did not know about this power at that time. By the way, he never ran out printer paper!

I could go on forever about how this power has worked for me. But I will end this segment by telling you of situation of a which I did now about this power.

 A marriage and three children later, my family was living in a mold infested two bedroom apt without proper furniture, and without a vehicle. I felt alone, embarrassed, ashamed,  and I lacked self confidence for the first time in my life. I was a poor black girl from the ghetto, who was absent of a "ghetto" mentality (which is just a poor mentality, if you ask me).  I had made myself accustomed to a certain lifestyle and I expected to live it, but I wasn't.

We did not have the income to provide a down payment for a vehicle or the extra money to save for a used one on Craigslist. By this time, I knew of the power, but found it difficult to practice. It was easier to be depressed. I felt that the current facts of my situation did not support what I desired most. I had reflected back to when I was 19, and how everything just "fell into place" for me. I did this often and one day I told myself "I still get what I desire, because I say so!". I called a few car dealerships until I found one I thought I could work with. They ran my credit and told me I would have to pay a huge down payment. I did not give up. I told them "O.K., I will call you back when I have it.". My husband was a personal trainer and business was not booming at all! That same day two clients called him in need of his service. He offered them different prices for certain packages. The packages they choose cost the exact amount we needed for our down payment, total! We purchased our Vehicle, and moved out of our mold infested 2 bedroom apartment, and into a seven bedroom house!

All of those wonderful things happened with just the power of positive thinking. In the last scenario, I did not get a job and I did not borrow money. I asked the creator, I told myself it would happen, I believed it would happen,  I felt it, and acted on it as if I knew it would, and it did! Sometimes, what we ask for happens through those that are close to us.

Ask exactly for what you want.

One day my husband and I mentioned that we would like to sign up for health insurance with Blue Cross. We did not think about it again. A few days later I received a letter stating that our family qualified for Blue Cross insurance under a plan they offered  for low-income families. We are never ones to think of ourselves as "low-income", because we know we can change our circumstance at any moment. I looked at the letter and laughed. I laughed pretty hard, because I could not help but think that the Universe had a great sense of humor. That is not what I wanted, but it reminded me that the power does work, but I needed to state exactly what is I want.

So when you ask for something, ask for it to happen under grace and in all perfect ways. If you are asking for money, you do not want to receive it through the death of a loved one. So ask for the exact amount you would like, and finish by saying "...under grace and in all perfect ways.".


A coincidence or divine power?

A couple of months ago I was speaking with my mother, who lives half way across the country. She told me she saw a commercial that advertise a beautiful Louis Vuitton purse. My mother had gasped and said aloud "I want that purse.". The next day my mother had left the house to run errands, when she returned the exact purse that said she wanted was hanging on her fence. It was in great condition. A neighbor had saw it on the street and hung it on her fence.

My mother does not believe in the power of positive thinking. Nonetheless, I tried to explain to her why she had received the purse. She called me a witch. I just had to laugh. But was this merely a coincidence or the work of a divine power?


Warning:

You are attracting what ever it is you think about the most. If your thoughts are full of great things, you will attract great things. If your thoughts are full of negative ones, you will attract negative things.


Have we unknowingly been taught the power as children?

As a grown woman with children, I am beginning to notice the hidden messages in cartoons. I truly believe that we have ,unknowingly, been taught the power of positive thinking. Maybe is was hidden because the message did not convey the preachings of most Christian religions.

Peter Pan told us that as long as we think happy thoughts we can fly.

Green Lantern's image is based on positive thinking and using will power to overcome fear. "....those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern light.". In other words, will power and positive thinking (the light) will overcome fear (evil). Not to mention that whatever Green Lantern imagined in his mind, he created.

In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy was able to go home anytime she wanted. She just had to close her eyes and click her heels three times. She had to follow the yellow brick road (trials and tribulations), keep staying optimistic, and close her eyes and click her heels (meditate), and believe and she would receive what she wanted.

How to obtain a spiritual life?

There are many ways to begin a spiritual path. I am still working on perfecting mine, however here are a few suggestions that have worked for me:


-  I (for the most part) have stopped caring about others think of me. Good or bad, it does not matter. I live my life for me, and me only. Everyone else is just a passenger that I welcome into my life, and allow to enjoy this journey with me.

- For you to become a true believe of this power; in-vision yourself obtaining something that is out of the ordinary in your life. Start with something small like a flower. In-vision yourself holding it, or smelling it. Do not worry about how it will happen. Just imagine that you have it and feel the feeling you would feel, if you did. Suddenly your vision will come to life.


- Hang around people that are either where you want to be or who are already currently there.

- If you must, take baby steps. My husband can think of a huge goal and manifest it. I feel intimidated with a huge goal, so I break it down in steps and manifest each one at a time.

These are just a few suggestions, and they are not the wrong way nor the right way. They are my way, and they work for me. I hope they help you, but if not, you can find your own way. I wish you all well in your path to spirituality. Peace and blessing.




0 comments:

Post a Comment