May 21, 2012

Fully Loaded Healthy Nachos - PRE-WORKOUT!



I'm not sure if it's my love for Mexican food or all things cheesy, but I have been craving nachos for quite some time. Ok, so really I've been craving some serious carbs, and the best carbs come with cheese! So I began my search for some healthy nachos! They couldn't just be semi-healthy, these nachos had to fully fit into my qualifications of healthy. In other words, these nachos had to be under 300 calories, under 200mg in sodium, low in sugar, and most of all TASTE DELICIOUS!


I have been obsessed with cooking blogs every since my oldest was 2 yrs old.  I find that is where I find the most tried and true recipes. As much as the kitchen and I did not get along, I knew I couldn't raise my child on Taco Bell.....OHHHHH, Taco Bell. I mean, seriously, does it get more All American than fake Mexican food? Oh well, I think we have Taco Bell less than once per year now...but I still need my cheesy carb loaded fix.

Upon my search for cheesy, gooey, deliciousness I came across Can You Stay for Dinner? hosted by Andie Mitchell. Ummm Andie, I would like to make a reservation for today at 6pm please. There are just too many wonderful recipes I can't wait to give a shot.

Andie's version of healthy nachos was the closest  I could find to meet my requirements, however I had to change it up a bit. She used a whole wheat tortilla, I used corn because it is slightly lower in calories. I do believe she used canned black beans; I made mine from scratch because bagged beans have 0 sodium. Canned black beans can range from about 170mg of sodium to about 350mg. Due to the sodium amount in cheese, I needed to use bagged beans. Also, I used a slice of melted down cheese because I just happened to have that available.

These nachos are high in Carbs, so I suggest eating them prior to working out. They are a good source of fuel for your workout.

Ingredients:
2 cups of black beans (You'll only need 1/2 cup for one serving)
6 cups of water (forgot to mention in video)
1 onion (halved)
1/2 onion (diced)
5-7 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash (forgot to mention in video below)
1 slice of cheese (under 220mgs of sodium, will use only use 1/2 for one serving)
1 whole corn tortilla (for one serving)
Non stick cooking spray (I used buttered flavor)
Diced Avacado
Diced Tomato
Fat free milk (for cheese sauce, use enough to reach your desired consistency)

DIRECTIONS:
1.) Add water, beans, onion halves, garlic, and Mrs. Dash into crock pot on high heat. Cook for about 4
     hours. Discard onions afterwards.
2.) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees..
3.) Saute diced onions until slightly brown.
4.) Cut tortilla into 8 triangular pieces for tortilla chips (Pizza style).
5.) Place tortilla pieces onto cookie sheet and generously spray both sides with cooking spray. Place into
     oven and bake for approximately 5 minutes or until golden.
6.) While tortilla chips are baking, melt cheese in a sauce pan on low heat, add milk until you have reached
     your desired consistency
7.) Place tortilla chips onto a plate, cover with 1/2 cup of black beans, top with sauteed onions, avocado,
     tomato, and 1 tablespoon of cheese sauce.
8.) ENJOY!

WATCH VIDEO TO SEE HOW I MADE THESE FULLY LOADED HEALTHY NACHOS!


Approximate Nutrition Information:
Calories: 249.50
Sodium: 144.50mg
Protein: 12g
Fat: 5.25g
Fiber: 11g
Carbohydrates: 35

0 comments:

Post a Comment